Give your development teams fast and reliable access to Apache Subversion (SVN) regardless of office location. Silver Peak addresses the problems undermining SVN performance over distance. More than 80 percent of SVN data can be eliminated from the WAN with Silver Peak. Developers can commit and merge changes faster, log in quicker, and maintain source code versions easier. With Silver Peak, IT can deliver a faster, more consistent Apache SVN experience to every location.
Apache Subversion (SVN) is a version control system used by developers to control software versioning and documentation. While responsive within the organization, SVN performance is impacted by varying network conditions of the wide area network (WAN). Read/write operations take longer to complete as do large file transfers.
Adding bandwidth does not solve the problem when locations are separated by long distances or by networks with significant amounts of packet loss. SVN's performance is limited by the additional delay of the WAN - not bandwidth. As delay increases the throughput of the TCP stack underlying SVN decreases. Even when distance is nominal, delay across WANs and particularly Internet virtual private networks (VPNs) may be longer than expected due to network congestion, routing policies, peering practices and other network factors.
Silver Peak addresses these problems, enabling SVN to perform better, more consistently over distance. By transferring less data across distance and overcoming the effects of latency and network congestion, Silver Peak enables SVN to perform faster, more consistently between offices. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses these problems undermining SVN performance over distance:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes extraneous SVN data from the WAN. The first time SVN sends data, it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance. At least 5X reduction of SVN data on the WAN is typical with Silver Peak.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling SVN to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and High Speed TCP. Accessing a repository on a mounted CIFS share is dramatically shortened through CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes SVN performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects SVN data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
Silver Peak Unity extends the enterprise network to the cloud.
- Improve scalability by expanding SVN deployments to support more developer teams in more locations.
- Commit new files and checkout existing files faster by minimizing the number of exchanges that must occur across the network.
- Hire the best talent regardless of location by giveing remote developers the performance they need to work from anywhere.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating repetitive SVN traffic from the WAN.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.