The Dell Disk Backup Appliance includes replication along with built in deduplication and compression technology. It offers a cost-effective solution for distributed backup environments, with the included replication providing a disaster recovery solution. Replication across larger geographic distances inevitably introduces issues with network reliability and latency. As packet loss, out-of-order, and round trip latencies increase, replication throughput decreases, resulting in missed RPOs. That’s where Silver Peak can help.
Silver Peak software improves replication across unreliable networks and geographic distance by:
- Overcoming transport latency with TCP acceleration techniques to improve application performance over the WAN
- Minimizing retransmissions caused by lost or out-of-order packets
- Maximize replication availability over shared networks with advanced QoS traffic prioritization/shaping capabilities
Improving Performance by 6.7X
Silver Peak VRX replication acceleration software has been tested and certified with Dell DR Disk Backup Appliances. Below is a snapshot of joint testing of Dell DR4100 replication before and after Silver Peak optimization.
- 4.5 GB data set
- 45 Mbps WAN
- 80ms latency – equivalent to coast-to-coast in the US
- 0.1% loss
Figure 1. Silver Peak helps Dell Disk Backup Appliance maintain low replication times across high-latency networks with packet loss.
Dell and Silver Peak
- Meet Recovery Point Objectives (RPO). Replicate more data offsite in less time
- Replicate over longer distances. Extend distances between source/target devices.
- Improve business continuity. Maintain DR facility for high availability
- Lower disaster recovery costs. Replicate critical data across existing WANs more efficiently.
- Secure data in transit with an IPSec AES-256 site-to-site VPN without impacting replication performance.
- Deploy rapidly and improve troubleshooting by requiring no networking expertise to install and by monitoring network conditions & performance with real-time dashboards.
Silver Peak VRX Replication Acceleration software makes replication acceleration easy and affordable.
In today’s enterprise, users are increasingly distributed while data is increasingly centralized. This places an increased burden on the underlying network infrastructure as a key enabler for various strategic corporate initiatives, such as server/storage consolidation, remote backup/replication, and unified communications. Dell has partnered with Silver Peak to address this challenge. Silver Peak’s Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA) can help cost effectively increase network capacity, optimize network quality, and help ensure maximum performance over distance - all while helping to reduce ongoing IT operating costs. The combined Dell / Silver Peak solution delivers LAN-like network performance to distributed employees, making it a strategic enabler for enterprises of all sizes.