Don’t let distance degrade your FTP performance. Silver Peak dramatically improves FTP performance, eliminating more than 85 percent of FTP data from the WAN and shortening file transfers with FTP by more than 70 percent. Users retrieve files faster, FTP backups complete sooner. With Silver Peak, FTP performs as well across the globe as it does across the office.
Many companies deploy centralized FTP file servers to lower costs and improve management. But as FTP operates over distance, it may become slow and unpredictable. Limited bandwidth coupled with high latency, packet loss, and TCP delays that typify many WANs adversely impact FTP performance. Silver Peak overcomes FTP limitations over the WAN, shortening FTP file transfer times. More than 85 percent of FTP data can be eliminated from the WAN. Data reduction, coupled with the Silver Peak’s ability to overcome congestion and latency, shortens FTP transfers by more than 70 percent. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges: :
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak’s byte-level deduplication removes redundant FTP data from the WAN. FTP transfers are faster, and more than 85 percent of FTP data is removed from the WAN. The first time FTP sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling FTP to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Where FTP shares the network with Windows applications or CIFS/SMB, organizations benefit from CIFS Acceleration , which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes FTP performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects FTP data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
Silver Peak Unity extends the enterprise network to the cloud.
- Increase productivity by accelerating FTP transfers over distance; users get more work accomplished.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating significant FTP data from the WAN.
- Shorten FTP file transfers over distance by correcting underlying networking problems. FTP transfers are faster, and more FTP traffic is eliminated from the WAN.
This is a demonstration of Silver Peak VX virtual WAN optimization software accelerating remote file transfers (CIFS) between a data center and a remote branch office.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Citizens Business Bank's Steve Borba talked about needing to fulfill a disaster recovery initiative and how Silver Peak WAN optimization software was the logical choice for the bank's Dell and VMware infrastructure.