Connecting remote locations with a GRE tunnel doesn’t have to mean sacrificing performance or security. Silver Peak optimizes and secures GRE and the applications that run over it. Accelerate data replication, database synchronization and file transfers over the WAN. Regardless of the application running across GRE, Silver Peak can improve its performance by as much as 20X. With Silver Peak, enterprises gain the convenience of GRE without sacrificing performance.
Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) gives IT a convenient tool for delivering enterprise traffic over the internet, but it can come at the expense of application performance over distance. Packet loss can degrade the performance of any application over distance and undermine the performance of GRE and the applications running across it. In addition, the use of IPSec to secure GRE increases packet sizes. Often the larger packets must be fragmented further degrading performance.
Silver Peak optimizes and secures GRE and the applications running within the GRE tunnel. Performance can be improved by as much as 20X. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following performance challenges:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes redundant GRE data from the WAN. The first time GRE sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes GRE performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are re-sequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order. Extensive traffic shaping and quality of service (QoS) technique ensure applications always receive the necessary bandwidth regardless of the traffic load.
Silver Peak protects GRE data in-flight between locations with an optimized IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Accelerated IPSec avoids packet fragmentation by automatically determining the maximum Message Transfer Unit (MTU) that can be used for a path before intermediate routers must fragment packets. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. SSL/TLS provides end-to-end encryption.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your team.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating the majority of GRE traffic from the WAN.
- Extend VPN deployments by ensuring GRE traffic is delivered fast and reliably by correcting underlying networking problems and eliminating excess GRE traffic from the WAN.
- Move more GRE traffic over distance by eliminating congestion and packet loss that slows applications over the WAN.
- Protect more data by improving replication across GRE by 20x.
This video demonstrates the basic process of creating a Silver Peak tunnel in order to optimize traffic. The video covers tunnel configuration, creating a route policy that specifies what is being optimized, and checking your work via the Current Flows.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Panasonic turns to Silver Peak for Real-Time Global Design Collaboration