Businesses today generate huge amounts of unstructured data from office applications, video, images, and the like. Data management and compliance requirements necessitate the use of a storage system that can store large amounts of data using a secure method. The Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) is a centralized object store that allows IT organizations and cloud service providers to easily scale storage capacity while guaranteeing availability and compliance. When the HCP is stored at a central location, remote end users and applications must access it across a Wide Area Network (WAN). WAN issues such as bandwidth, congestion, and geographic distance (resulting in higher latency) between sites can severely limit the performance of applications, and HCP replication for disaster recovery. Silver Peak accelerates replication, ingest, and recall for the Hitachi Content Platform by solving the most common WAN bottlenecks. Remote offices can backup, archive, and retrieve files quickly while avoiding technology sprawl, complexity, and the need for on-site IT staffing.
How Silver Peak Helps
Silver Peak Replication Acceleration software fixes the problems that exist on the WAN, moving more data in less time, and over longer distances. Silver Peak solves WAN problems by repairing dropped and out-of-order packets, overcoming the effects of latency, and providing real-time deduplication and compression of all data sent across the WAN.
Advanced Quality of Service prioritizes traffic by type, to guarantee both minimum and maximum bandwidth requirements—especially useful when using shared WAN infrastructure.
Silver Peak supports a secure content architecture. All enterprise data ingested or recalled from remote offices can be transferred securely between sites using Silver Peak’s IPsec AES 256 site to site VPN. Additionally, any data replicated between HCPs can be encrypted across the WAN.
Once deployed, Silver Peak software enables any storage administrator to manage the Silver Peak implementation. Reports are in storage-friendly terms showing the data sent across the WAN in bytes, and replication throughput. Storage traffic is segmented by application, such as replication and or backup. Reporting includes minute, hour, and daily intervals, and includes a 10 day chart to reflect performance data before and after any changes made during the weekend.
With the Hitachi Content Platform and Silver Peak Replication Acceleration software, you can protect all of your business-critical data and replicate consistently, regardless of network problems or distance.
- Protect more data by increasing HCP performance
- Increase the geographic distance between the data center and the branch office.
- Accelerate remote file access, making CIFS usable over the WAN, while using 70-90% less bandwidth.
- Reduce WAN costs to the branch by making low-cost MPLS networks and Internet VPNs more efficient. Silver Peak software correct the network quality problems common to these networks in real time, increasing overall throughput. Access more traffic in the same or less bandwidth, allowing IT often delay planned WAN upgrades.
- Improve the performance of all branch applications sharing the WAN. Advanced QoS and traffic management features prevent applications from interfering with each other. .
- Secure data in transit with IPsec AES-256 site-to-site VPN.
Silver Peak VRX Replication Acceleration software makes replication acceleration easy and affordable.
This Hitachi datasheet describes how the Hitachi Data Ingestor (HDI) and Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) with Silver Peak’s WAN Optimization solution is proven architecture that enables remote offices to back up, archive and retrieve files quickly.