Don’t let the wide area network interfere with your HP Autonomy deployment. Silver Peak fixes the WAN problems that can undermine HP Autonomy over distance. Autonomy users can retrieve files faster from the cloud and/or data center. IT can more easily integrate remote data repositories into the Autonomy IDOL architecture. With Silver Peak, IT can deliver a more responsive and more predictable HP Autonomy experience to every remote location.
HP Autonomy (formerly Interwoven) is a powerful enterprise content management system allowing organizations to better access and manage business documents and information. As HP Autonomy deployments expand to remote locations or move into the cloud, performance problems may emerge for some users. Content may take longer to retrieve while IT from remote repositories may find it more difficult to integrate repositories into Autonomy’s Intelligent Data Operating Layer (IDOL).
Increasing wide area network (WAN) bandwidth typically does not address the problem. Regardless of the amount of bandwidth, the throughput of the TCP stack underlying Autonomy decrease substantially as delay increases. Even when distance is nominal, delay across WANs and particularly Internet virtual private networks (VPNs) may be longer than expected due to network congestion, routing policies, peering practices and other factors. Enterprises also cannot expect a cloud provider hosting Autonomy to fix the problem as the causes of delay often lie in the Internet not the cloud provider’s network.
Silver Peak compensates for network limitations, allowing IT to deliver a faster, more consistent HP Autonomy experience to any location regardless of whether the repository resides in the cloud or a remote data center. More specifically, Silver Peak solves the following networking problems undermining Autonomy performance:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes redundant data from the WAN. The first time Autonomy sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance. Customers experience shows that Silver Peak can reduce the amount of bandwidth required by HP Autonomy by 6x.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency, enabling Autonomy to operate more efficiently over distance using TCP Acceleration, which includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Accessing CIFS-mounts is made faster with CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes Autonomy performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions; out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects Autonomy data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your team.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Increase user satisfaction by delivering a more predictable and responsive Autonomy experience regardless of location.
- Reduce HP Autonomy costs by consolidating Autonomy servers without sacrificing remote performance, and without adding bandwidth to remote users or repositories.
- Hire the best talent regardless of location by allowing employees to access Autonomy quickly and efficiently from any location
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
This is a demonstration of Silver Peak VX virtual WAN optimization software accelerating remote file transfers (CIFS) between a data center and a remote branch office.
Architecture design firm dwp has adopted a WAN optimisation system from Silver Peak to accelerate file transfers and reduce infrastructure costs by 80 percent. The platform, Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA), is now able to speed up transfers of AutoCAD-based files from days to minutes. According to dwp, it now takes only a few minutes to transfer 1 GB of data across the distributed enterprise, which includes 12 locations across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. There was an urgent need for dwp to lower its operating expenditure (OPEX) costs, which soared dramatically due to an increase in bandwidth costs necessitated by poor network connectivity between its data centre located in Bangkok and the various branch offices. In addition, link costs and latency were the highest between Bahrain and Bangkok.
DWP Accelerates Data Mobility And App Performance Across Asia Pacific
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.