IBM DS8000 series storage with Global Mirror processing provides remote data replication between source storage system and a target system located over 300 kilometers (km) apart. It works on open systems or IBM zSeries® (or both) data using asynchronous technology. This means that Global Mirror replication writes data to the target a few seconds after data is written to the source volumes. It sends an acknowledgement to the server before the remote storage system receives a confirmation of write completion. Because it uses typically low bandwidth WAN links, where high latency, bandwidth contention, out of order or dropped packets can cause some data loss, missed recovery point objectives (RPOs) and potentially failed replication. That’s where Silver Peak can help.
How Silver Peak can help
- Protect more data by compressing and deduplicating your replication traffic before it is sent over the WAN. By reducing the amount of Global Mirror data sent over the WAN, you can afford to replicate all of your data, not just the most important data.
- Increase the geographic distance between disaster recovery facilities by improving Global Mirror performance in high latency environments.
- Reduce costs with one WAN for Global Mirror and other applications; Silver Peak’s advanced QoS and traffic shaping techniques protect application performance. Replication traffic can be prioritized higher than other application, while also limited to use only the necessary bandwidth.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades. In high latency and loss networks, adding bandwidth won’t necessarily increase performance. Silver Peak corrects the higher rates of loss and out-of-order packets, which normally undermine performance on these networks. With Silver Peak, you can get more performance out of lower cost Internet VPNs and MPLS networks.
- Secure data in transit with a site-to-site AES-256 IPsec VPN
- Meet Recovery Point Objectives (RPO). Replicate more data in less time to remote locations.
- Replicate over longer distances. Eliminate distance limitations between source/target devices.
- Improve business continuity. Maintain redundant data centers in distant geographies for rapid recovery from disasters.
- Lower disaster recovery costs. Eliminate costly dedicated networks for replication; avoid bandwidth upgrades.
Silver Peak VRX Replication Acceleration software makes replication acceleration easy and affordable.