Reduce IBM Notes and Domino replication times, and keep Notes users productive, even over long distances. Silver Peak compensates for the "weather" conditions of wide area networks (WANs) to dramatically improve Notes and Domino performance. Lab testing and customer results show that Notes and Domino performance can improve by more than 20X with Silver Peak, while eliminating 90 percent of Notes and Domino traffic from the WAN.
IBM Notes and Domino (formerly Lotus Notes and Domino) are the client and server components to IBM's popular business collaboration system. While Notes and Domino perform well within the office, the increased delay and packet loss of the WAN may disrupt some Notes-Domino operations. Databases may fail to open and files may take too long to transfer. Notes clients may become unresponsive and connection failures may occur as the network is occupied by other applications.
More bandwidth alone will not solve these problems; latency and packet loss must also be addressed. The increased delay introduced by long distances, provider routing policies, Internet peering policies, and network congestion degrade TCP throughput regardless of bandwidth.
Silver Peak address those problems, enabling IT to deliver a more consistent, more responsive IBM Notes and Domino experience to any remote location. Specific challenges addressed by Silver Peak include:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication dramatically shortens large Notes and Domino transfers by removing the redundant data from the WAN. Customer testsing shows that more than 90 percent of Notes data can be eliminated from the WAN. The first time Notes or Domino send data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency latency enabling Notes and Domino to operate more efficiently over distance, improving the user experience. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes Notes and Domino performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost or out-of-order packets are recovered and resequenced in real time, avoiding retransmission delays. Traffic shaping and Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms ensure all applications receive the necessary bandwidth.
Silver Peak protects Notes and Domino data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) between locations, securing all data with AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in each Silver Peak instance is also encrypted with AES. Silver Peak supports SSL/TLS for end-to-end encryption.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free trial or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Increase productivity by enabling Notes users to share and transfer files faster and with less frustration.
- Replicate Notes and Domino faster by reducing the amount of data that’s actually transferred across the WAN.
- Secure Notes and Domino data in transit with SSL and Accelerated IPSec without sacrificing performance or increasing complexity.
- Reduce bandwidth charges by eliminating redundant data from the WAN.
IBM Notes and Domino (formerly Lotus Notes and Domino) are client and server components, respectively, to the popular business collaboration system.
This white paper examines the requirements for optimizing SaaS and how Silver Peak's Unity WAN fabric gives IT the visibility and control that has been missing while giving users the performance they need.
IBM Lotus Notes® and Domino® are robust platforms for enterprise collaboration, including a wide variety of tools for messaging and directory services, discussion, calendaring, and document management services. While the IBM Lotus family was designed for deployment across distributed enterprises, there are inherent challenges associated with collaborating across a Wide Area Network, including poor application response time and excessive bandwidth usage. These are solved using Silver Peak’s data acceleration software.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Carnival Australia is a division of Carnival Corp. and is the leader of the Australian and New Zealand cruise industry responsible for seven ships operating in Australian waters – four P&O Cruises’ ships and three Princess Cruises’ vessels (including Sea Princess from September 2011). P&O Cruises has been cruising from Australia since December 1932 when the P&O mail steamer, Strathaird, departed from Sydney on a five-day cruise to Brisbane and Norfolk Island. In addition to operating P&O Cruises, Carnival Australia represents a number of Carnival brands – P&O Cruises World Cruising (UK), Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn and Carnival Cruise Lines.
ARM Enhances Global Productivity with Silver Peak