Extend the reach of your IP-in-IP tunnel without sacrificing performance. Silver Peak optimizes every application even when encapsulated within IP-in-IP. Replicate data, synchronize databases, move files – regardless of the task, Silver Peak can make it perform as much as 20X more efficiently.
IP-in-IP tunneling provides a convenient way to connect IP networks over an IP backbone, but tunneling presents a challenge for application performance over distance. Once inserted within the tunnel, the encapsulated IP stream is hidden from application acceleration devices, which only operate on native TCP and, in some cases, UDP traffic. These devices cannot interpret IP-in-IP, which runs natively over IP. As such, the latency, loss, and bandwidth limitations of the wide area network (WAN) that disrupt application performance over distance remain unchecked for applications running across the tunnel. IPSec, often used to secure tunnelled traffic, may also increase delay due to increased packet fragmentation.
Silver Peak optimizes and secures any IP-based protocol or application, even those running within the IP-in-IP tunnel. Replication traffic running within an IP-in-IP tunnel can be optimized by as much as 20X with Silver Peak. More specifically, Silver Peak applies these technologies to address the following performance challenges faced by IP-in-IP:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes extraneous IP-in-IP data from the WAN. The first time an IP-in-IP tunnel sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling IP-in-IP to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes IP-in-IP tunneling performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced in real-time, preventing retransmission and processing delays from additional packet processing.
Silver Peak protects IP-in-IP tunneling data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest within Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your team.
VX Virtual WAN Optimization Software
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
NX Appliances for Application Acceleration and Replication Acceleration
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Unity Architecture: Building an SD-WAN Fabric
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Secure and accelerate applications running in IP-in-IP tunnel with Silver Peak's range optimization techniques and its Accelerated IPSec.
- Extend IP-in-IP deployments by correcting the underlying networking problems that constrain performance over distance.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating extraneous IP-in-IP traffic from the WAN.
This video demonstrates the basic process of creating a Silver Peak tunnel in order to optimize traffic. The video covers tunnel configuration, creating a route policy that specifies what is being optimized, and checking your work via the Current Flows.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Charleston Area Medical Center Centralizes Applications Without Suffering The Ill-Effects Of Wan PerformanceLearn how Regional Medical Center deployed Silver Peak and gained 10x improvement (average) in application performance across the WAN
Off-site data replication can be a critical part of a disaster recovery plan, but as County National Bank discovered, the IT department first needed to address the limitations of the underlying wide area network (WAN). Limited bandwidth, high rates of packet loss and out-of-order packets, and long distances often sabotage data replication performance.