Collaborate using Microsoft Lync more effectively across the Internet and wide area networks (WANs). Silver Peak eliminates the network problems that can undermine Lync quality and availability over distance. Calls become clearer and video is more responsive. With Silver Peak, you can deliver a more responsive, more consistent Lync experience to users in any remote office.
Microsoft Lync is a powerful unified communications platform integrating voice, video, screen sharing and more. While effective within an office, the Lync experience may deteriorate across long distances. Files take longer to transfer. Voice calls become harder to understand. Video calls fail to start or become more pixelated.
Adding more WAN bandwidth will not solve the problem. As a real-time application, VoIP and video are highly sensitive to jitter, latency, and packet loss all commonly found on the Internet. A good quality VoIP call will compensate for no more than 30ms of jitter, yet jitter rates on congested networks, such as the Internet, can average 120 msec. Packet loss rates should be kept under 1 percent, but again across Internet-based virtual private networks (VPNs) packet loss rates average one percent and are often much higher. And while a VoIP call can operate in as a little as 31 Kbps (G.729), the bandwidth may be consumed by the other applications sharing the network.
Silver Peak addresses those and other network challenges, improving the availability and the quality of Microsoft Lync. Packet loss and out-of-order packets can be minimized or eliminated and Silver Peak can select the best path for Lync across the WAN with the least packet loss. More specifically, Silver Peak address the following networking problems impacting Lync:
- Congestion – Silver Peak minimizes or eliminates the effects of network congestion, making VoIP calls consistently clearer and more predictable across congested WANs. Silver Peak’s Forward Error Correction (FEC) eliminated as much as 90 percent of packet loss in independent testing by regenerating packets in real-time at the far end of a WAN link. Packet Order Correction (POC) resequences packets in real-time, avoiding retransmission and processing delays from out-of-order packets. Quality of Service (QoS) and traffic shaping guarantee VoIP receives the necessary bandwidth on congested networks. The culmination of those capabilities has been shown to practically eliminate 120 msec of jitter from a connection.
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication eliminates redundant data across the WAN, making more bandwidth available for Microsoft Lync calls. The first time an application sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency, improving the collaboration tools in Microsoft Lync with TCP Acceleration, which includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Sharing or accessing files with the Common Internet File System (CIFS) is made faster with CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
Silver Peak protects the files and data used during a video conferencing collaboration in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec, virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest within Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Increase user satisfactionby delivering a more predictable and responsive Microsoft voice experience.
- Increase productivity by making Microsoft's productivity tools more responsive.
- Improve branch office survivability without impacting wasting bandwidth.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by using bandwidth more efficently.
Mature companies need mature data recovery solutions. Just ask Aramex, a leading global logistics and transportation company. As the company approached its $1 billion annual revenue mark, updating the company’s 24 hour- Recovery Point Objective (RPO) became imperative for chief technology officer Samer Awajan. In addition to increased internal expectations for tighter disaster recovery procedures, shorter data center failover times would appeal to prospective customers demanding higher levels of business continuity
Schuff Steel Deploys Silver Peak to Accelerate Data Mobility
Most major enterprises have Voice over IP (VoIP) projects either under way, or in the testing and evaluation stage. According to a recent ComputerWorld survey, VoIP deployments will grow faster in the next 18 months than any other category of enterprise applications, with a full 16% of enterprises planning to implement VoIP in that time period.
Panasonic turns to Silver Peak for Real-Time Global Design Collaboration
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.