Retrieve MRIs and CAT scans from your PACS systems faster and more efficiently over distance. Silver Peak eliminates more than 90 percent of the PACS data from the WAN, moving 7x more image slices per second. Radiologists can review medical images faster and off-site archival takes less time. With Silver Peak, PACS performs its best for every remote office.
A Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) provides the storage, retrieval, distribution and presentation of medical images. Those images are divided into “slices” and delivered across the network where they are recombined and stored for retrieval by the medical professional.
While effective within a hospital or campus, PACS performance suffers across long distances. Medical images can exceed 50 megabytes and, as such, require substantial throughput to be moved quickly across a wide area network (WAN). The large file sizes also complicate replicating PACS data off-site. And as with all medical data, privacy is a major concern. PACs traffic must be encrypted in-flight between locations with a virtual private network (VPN), which often further degrades network performance.
Adding more WAN bandwidth will not solve the problem. Delay, not bandwidth, is the biggest challenge for applications operating over distance. As delay increases, TCP throughput decreases regardless of bandwidth. Even where distance is limited, delay across WANs and particularly Internet virtual private networks (VPNs) may be longer than expected due to network congestion, and the service provider's routing policies and peering practices. . And since provider networks are dynamic, delay on any route will fluctuate, complicating troubleshooting efforts and frustrating users.
Silver Peak addresses the network challenges undermining PACS, enabling medical professionals anywhere to share and retrieve images quickly, easily, and securely. More than 90 percent of PACS data can be deduplicated, allowing the organization to transfer more slices and reduce the amount of required bandwidth. Silver Peak also encrypts traffic in flight without impact on application performance or the scalability of the Silver Peak software. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes redundant PACS data from the WAN. The first time PACS sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling PACS to operate more efficiently over distance. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes PACS performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects PACS data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in each Silver Peak instance is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Numerous healthcare organizations depend on Silver Peak every day including Baptist Healthcare, Charleston Area Medical, Center, Mercy Health, Mayo Clinic, Nebraska Heart and more. When engaging with these customers, Silver Peak engineers typically find that PACS can move 7x more image slices across the Silver Peak-optimized WAN.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Increase productivity by giving PACS users fast access to patient information to review, collaborate, archive and backup images and documents.
- Secure PACS data by encrypting data without compromising application performance.
- Lower bandwidth charges by eliminating redundant PACS data from the WAN.
- Save significant capital costs by avoiding the purchase of additional VPN hardware. The Silver Peak IPSec solution requires no networking expertise or painstaking tunnel configuration.
Charleston Area Medical Center Centralizes Applications Without Suffering The Ill-Effects Of Wan PerformanceThis mid-Atlantic medical center is a nonprofit, 919-bed, regional referral center with more than 4,000 employees. It is home to one of the top 10 heart programs in the United States and one of the nation’s busiest Level I Trauma Centers. Like similar environments, this medical center consists of multiple independent facilities, including urgent care sites, hospitals and administrative locations. However, from an IT perspective, these locations are managed as a single entity. This facilitates information sharing and enables IT resources to meet the medical center’s stringent demands.
When Greeting Card company John Sands (Australia) Ltd. failed to get within 10 hours of meeting its recovery point objectives (RPO) for replicating corporate data, Silver Peak made a compelling offer: “We will commit to making it work, and will not bill you until you achieve your RPO.” John Sands, a subsidiary of American Greetings Corporation and a leading manufacturer of innovative social expression products, implemented Silver Peak’s data acceleration software quickly and easily – and bettered the four-hour target within a week.
Healthcare providers know the importance of preserving and protecting their data. Not only are they liable by regulations, but the loss of medical records leads to privacy violations, and worse can lead to a loss of life.
Growing concern over the interception of Internet traffic by governmental agencies is driving enterprises to revisit how they secure storage replication and other essential applications between locations. Conventional site-to-site virtual private networks (VPNs) protect data in-flight, but require extensive networking expertise to configure and do not address the performance challenges of delivering applications over distance. Silver Peak's Accelerated IPSec combines the best of site-to-site IPSec VPN security and wide area network (WAN) acceleration.