Silver Peak compensates for the network limitations that may disrupt Perforce user collaboration performance over the wide area network (WAN). Accelerate the back-up of modified files and submit current changes faster. With Silver Peak, IT teams can deliver a faster Perforce experience to any remote location without compromising application performance.
Enterprise development teams and artists rely on Perforce as a collaboration and version control platform to store assets, protect IP, and fuel continuous development to build complex applications, games, and artwork. Perforce is exceptional at managing massive collections of files across a wide range of file sizes, but all version control systems can encounter issues in a DVCS model where long distances and erratic networks can slow down user workflows. No one likes waiting to submit Perforce “changelists” to update their files. By augmenting their Perforce deployment with Silver Peak WAN Optimization, enterprise development teams experience faster data replication across the WAN, enabling them to achieve corporate recovery point objectives (RPOs).
The laws of physics dictate that increasing distance between network endpoints will increase the delay for data transfers between those endpoints. In this situation, provisioning more WAN bandwidth alone will not eliminate the delay. Regardless of the amount of WAN bandwidth applied, the throughput of the TCP stack underlying Perforce decreases as delay increases. Even where geographic distance is not large, delay may be significant due to the routing dynamics, peering practices, and amount of network congestion on provider networks. The dynamic nature of the WAN also means that version control performance can vary dramatically, complicating troubleshooting and impairing user productivity.
More specifically, the combined solution enables better performance and user experience by addressing the following issues:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication eliminates 65 percent and more of the Perforce data from the WAN. The first time Perforce sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak reduces latency enabling Perforce to operate with peak performance over distance. TCP Acceleration includes window scaling, selective acknowledgements and HighSpeed TCP. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes Perforce performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Packet Order Correction re-sequences packets on the fly, helping to mitigate the retransmission and processing delay that occurs when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects Perforce data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in a Silver Peak instance is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Deploying Perforce in conjunction with Silver Peak addresses the challenges of operating over a WAN, enabling IT to deliver a more responsive, more predictable and productive experience for all Perforce users.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Improve scalability by expanding Perforce deployments to support more developer teams in more locations.
- Increase productivity by committing and checking out Perforce files faster.
- Hire the best talent regardless of location by allowing developers to access Perforce files and resources quickly and efficiently from any location.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating Perforce traffic from the WAN.
- Shorten development cycles by completing read/write operations at LAN-speed.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Architecture design firm dwp has adopted a WAN optimisation system from Silver Peak to accelerate file transfers and reduce infrastructure costs by 80 percent. The platform, Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA), is now able to speed up transfers of AutoCAD-based files from days to minutes. According to dwp, it now takes only a few minutes to transfer 1 GB of data across the distributed enterprise, which includes 12 locations across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. There was an urgent need for dwp to lower its operating expenditure (OPEX) costs, which soared dramatically due to an increase in bandwidth costs necessitated by poor network connectivity between its data centre located in Bangkok and the various branch offices. In addition, link costs and latency were the highest between Bahrain and Bangkok.
Charleston Area Medical Center Centralizes Applications Without Suffering The Ill-Effects Of Wan PerformanceThis mid-Atlantic medical center is a nonprofit, 919-bed, regional referral center with more than 4,000 employees. It is home to one of the top 10 heart programs in the United States and one of the nation’s busiest Level I Trauma Centers. Like similar environments, this medical center consists of multiple independent facilities, including urgent care sites, hospitals and administrative locations. However, from an IT perspective, these locations are managed as a single entity. This facilitates information sharing and enables IT resources to meet the medical center’s stringent demands.