Let your engineering managers use Siemens Teamcenter to make smarter decisions regardless of their location. Silver Peak dramatically improves the performance of Siemens Teamcenter over distance. Customers report eliminating more than 80 percent of Teamcenter data from the WAN and shortening transactions by 70 percent. Web interfaces respond faster and transfering files takes less time. With Silver Peak, accessing project data with Teamcenter becomes as fast between offices as within the office.
The Teamcenter web-based Project Lifecycle Management (PLM) solution allows companies, suppliers, and customers to share information in a secure environment. While responsive within the office, Teamcenter performance can degrade over distance. Downloading CAD files from Teamcenter takes longer and replicating Teamcenter databases offsite may be impossible within the company’s recovery point objectives (RPOs).
The problem has little to do with Teamcenter and far more to do with the underlying network. As applications extend across private network services, such as MPLS, and Internet virtual private networks (VPNs) delay increases and with it TCP performance decreases, independent of the amount of bandwidth. And it's not just the distance between locations that increases delay, but also the network congestion, routing policies, and peering practices of the intervening provider networks.
Silver Peak addresses these and other problems, enabling IT to deliver a more responsive, more predictable Teamcenter experience to remote location. During customer testing, Silver Peak reduced TeamCenter transaction times from 105 seconds to 30 seconds, a more than 70 percent improvement, and eliminated more than 80 percent of Teamcenter data from the WAN. Specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes redundant data from the WAN. The first time Teamcenter sends data, it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling Teamcenter to operate more efficiently over distance. Most Teamcenter transactions benefit from TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Accessing a remote data store or sharing files is also shortened through CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes Teamcenter performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects Teamcenter data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your team.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Maximize Teamcenter investments by expanding Teamcenter to more remote users to help shorten development time.
- Increase productivity by allowing Teamcenter users to collaborate and share data faster.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating repetitive Teamcenter data from the WAN.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Panasonic turns to Silver Peak for Real-Time Global Design Collaboration
Architecture design firm dwp has adopted a WAN optimisation system from Silver Peak to accelerate file transfers and reduce infrastructure costs by 80 percent. The platform, Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA), is now able to speed up transfers of AutoCAD-based files from days to minutes. According to dwp, it now takes only a few minutes to transfer 1 GB of data across the distributed enterprise, which includes 12 locations across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. There was an urgent need for dwp to lower its operating expenditure (OPEX) costs, which soared dramatically due to an increase in bandwidth costs necessitated by poor network connectivity between its data centre located in Bangkok and the various branch offices. In addition, link costs and latency were the highest between Bahrain and Bangkok.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.