Don’t let distance slow down your product designers and engineers. Silver Peak improves the long-distance performance of SolidWorks 3D CAD. Product designers can collaborate on new designs easier, and engineers can transfer models of new bridges and other construction projects faster. With Silver Peak and SolidWorks, creative teams can be as effective between offices as they can within an office.
Designers in different locations often need to collaborate with one another or work with files stored in remote locations. Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks provides a powerful set of 3D CAD tools to collaborate on designs. But editing remote CAD files or transferring local ones can be slow or impossible from some locations some of the time. Long distances separating offices are only part of the problem. The routing practices of service providers and the peering arrangements, in the case of an Internet Service Provider (ISP), significantly effect the delay of site-to-site connections. The increased packet loss of wide area networks (WANs) and the Internet, in particular, only exacerbate the issue.
Identifying and addressing the factors undermining SolidWorks performance can be challenging. The dynamic nature of the Internet, in particular, may mean that some locations perform well some of the time. Simply increasing site bandwidth generally does not solve performance problems caused by delay or packet loss.
Silver Peak compensates for underlying network limitations, allowing IT to deliver a faster, more predictable SolidWorks experience to every location every time. Customer testing shows that SolidWorks files open over 88 percent faster, and transfer in less time because Silver Peak eliminates more than 85 percent of SolidWorks data from having to be transferred between locations. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following network challenges:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes redundant data from the WAN, shortening SolidWorks file transfers. The first time data is sent from the WAN, it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance. Silver Peak deduplication works with every version of SolidWorks, even if there should be changes to protocols or file formats.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency, enabling SolidWorks to operate more efficiently over distance. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes SolidWorks performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions; out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order. Extensive traffic shaping and quality of service (QoS) technique ensure applications always receive the necessary bandwidth regardless of the traffic load.
Silver Peak protects SolidWorks data-in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) and AES-256 encryption. Data-at-rest within the Silver Peak instance is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your creative team.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Improve collaboration by allowing product designers and engineers to share models faster.
- Increase productivity by accelerating SolidWorks software, saving organization hours each week.
- Improve revision control and eliminate errors in the final design by allowing user to access models on centralized servers.
- Lower costs and hire the best talent regardless of location by allowing any user regardless of location to access SolidWorks models on servers consolidated into the data center.
- Lower bandwidth charges by eliminating redundant data from the WAN.
Whether designing a new building or creating a concept car, Computer Aided Design (CAD) / Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) programs — such as AutoCad, Bentley ProjectWise, Civil3D, Revit, and Solidworks — are essential to the creative process. The productivity of engineering, architecture and design professionals often suffers, though, when loading drawings from remote servers or transferring CAD/CAM files between offices.
Architecture design firm dwp has adopted a WAN optimisation system from Silver Peak to accelerate file transfers and reduce infrastructure costs by 80 percent. The platform, Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA), is now able to speed up transfers of AutoCAD-based files from days to minutes. According to dwp, it now takes only a few minutes to transfer 1 GB of data across the distributed enterprise, which includes 12 locations across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. There was an urgent need for dwp to lower its operating expenditure (OPEX) costs, which soared dramatically due to an increase in bandwidth costs necessitated by poor network connectivity between its data centre located in Bangkok and the various branch offices. In addition, link costs and latency were the highest between Bahrain and Bangkok.
DWP Accelerates Data Mobility And App Performance Across Asia Pacific
Panasonic turns to Silver Peak for Real-Time Global Design Collaboration
Toshiba America Electronic Components Inc. turned to Silver Peak Systems Inc. wide area network (WAN) optimization appliances when it needed help moving large engineering files coast to coast for disaster recovery, choosing the startup over larger and better known competitors. Toshiba America's director of information systems, Leon Roberge, said Silver Peak's NX WAN acceleration devices outperformed Riverbed Technology Inc. in his evaluation, which surprised him considering Riverbed's reputation.