Deliver a responsive, predictable VMware Horizon experience over long distances or unpredictable networks. Silver Peak protects and optimizes Horizon traffic, reducing and often eliminating packet loss and other effects of network congestion that undermine Horizon performance.
VMware Horizon is a popular thin-client solution that allows desktops and applications to be published using HTTP, RDP, or Teradici's PCoIP. While Horizon performs well within the office or campus, long distances may pose a challenge. The added delay from distance, provider routing policies and peering practices, undermine data throughput. Coupled with the increased amounts of packet loss and out-of-order packets of site-to-site connections, normally responsive VMware Horizon applications or desktops can become sluggish and unresponsive. Users end up repeatedly hitting keys, generating more traffic, and further compounding the problem.
Silver Peak optimizes Horizon, enabling a faster, more predictable user experience at every office. Exact benefits will depend on the protocol being used to connect to the Horizon client. All of the Horizon clients gain from Silver Peak’s ability to mitigate the effects of congestion, deduplicate TCP and UDP traffic, and select the path with the least loss or latency. The HTTP client will gain from Silver Peak’s latency compensation algorithms and will benefit the most from Silver Peak’s deduplication algorithms. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following network challenges:
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes VMware Horizon performance more predictable across congested wide area networks (WANs). Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order. Dynamic Path Control selects the path with the least loss on-the-fly. Bandwidth is guaranteed through application classification, packet marking, queuing and shaping.
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication removes extraneous VMware Horizon data from the WAN when operating over HTTP and RDP. The first time VMware Horizon sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance. PCoIP runs over UDP, which can be deduplicated by Silver Peak, but the client-side encryption minimizes any deduplication benefits.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling VMware Horizon’s HTTP client to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Neither RDP nor PCoIP, which run over UDP, will benefit from TCP Acceleration. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
Silver Peak protects VMware Horizon data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest within Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. Download and deploy it yourself in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your team.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
Silver Peak Unity extends the enterprise network to the cloud.
Cloud accleration for VMware vCloud
- Increase productivity by making remote desktop sessions more reliable and faster.
- Avoid or delay expensive bandwidth upgrades by using traffic shaping to share bandwidth and deduplication to eliminate the majority of VMware Horizon traffic from the WAN.
- Extend VMware Horizon deployments by correcting underlying networking problems and eliminating excess traffic from the WAN.
- Maximize your VMware Horizon investment by making VMware Horizon fast enough for any application.
Accelrys Optimizes VDI and Replication over Distance
Cox Castle & Nicholson Optimizes Citrix VDI Environment with Silver Peak
Networking can make or break a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) roll-out, as one business found out. The company, a global law firm, operates a multiprotocol label switching (MPLS) wide area network (WAN) between its three global sites, supporting 7,000 staff. Approximately 75% of traffic on the network was Citrix, 20% was taken by print services, while the remainder was used by web and authentication protocols. Sometimes the Citrix client on users' desktops would not keep up with their typing due to congestion on the WAN. Given that the cost of upgrading links in certain regions can be around £250,000 per annum, the law firm could not justify buying more network capacity. Deploying quality of service (QoS) to prioritise Citrix traffic could work, but at the cost of slower print traffic.
Optimizing virtualization and VDI deployments with Dell PS Series storage and Silver Peak WAN accelerationThe combined strengths of Dell PS Series storage and Silver Peak WAN acceleration solutions can help optimize virtualization and VDI deployments.
Enterprises rely on a variety of different technologies to build Wide Area Networks (WANs), such as Time Division Multiplexing, Frame Relay, and Virtual Private Networks. These technologies use well established, link-layer techniques to deliver error-free, well-formed Protocol Data Units (PDUs) to upper layers. However, different network-layer characteristics result in unique packet delivery behavior across these technologies.
This document contains the architecture and results for testing conducted to investigate the impact of Windows 7 on VMware Horizon DaaS 6.0 using Ivy Bridge processors and determine the functionality of the Silver Peak wide area network (WAN) optimization appliances in an emulated WAN environment.
As businesses grow and become more global, IT organizations are faced with workforces in remote and branch office locations that need access to data, applications, and communication methods to effectively collaborate, communicate, and remain productive. Traditional approaches typically involve solutions that are difficult to manage and troubleshoot remotely providing a poor end user experience.
This purpose of this document is to describe: How the Dell Wyse Datacenter for VMware Horizon DaaS Reference Architecture scales from 50 to 50,000+ virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) users. Solution options that encompass a combination of models including SolidFire storage options. This document addresses the architecture design, configuration and implementation considerations for the key components of the architecture required to deliver virtual desktops via VMware Horizon DaaS.