Santa Clara, Calif., June 5 , 2007 – Silver Peak Systems , a leading provider of scalable Wide Area Network (WAN) acceleration solutions, today announced the availability of version 2.0 software for the company’s NX family of appliances and Global Management System (GMS). This latest software release provides various performance enhancements to Silver Peak’s award winning Network Memory™ technology, coupled with numerous tools that simplify the configuration and deployment of complex WAN acceleration deployments. With the latest version of software, Silver Peak delivers unprecedented performance and management on high capacity WAN links.
“Disaster recovery, server centralization and other strategic initiatives are increasing the amount of data on the WAN, resulting in a growing demand for high capacity WAN connections,” said Joe Skorupa, Research VP, Enterprise Network Services and Infrastructure at Gartner. “High end WAN optimization controllers (WOCs) will account for over 40% of the total WAN optimization market in 2007, growing to approximately 50% of the total market by the year 2010." (source: Gartner Dataquest Forecast: Application Acceleration Equipment, Worldwide, 2005-2010)
The Skinny on Fat Pipes
High capacity WAN links (30 Mbps and higher) have unique characteristics that distinguish them from smaller branch office connections. They typically involve much larger volumes of data, more types of applications, larger numbers of simultaneous user sessions, and more complex network configurations (e.g., asymmetric routes, redundancy, high availability network designs, advanced QoS policies, etc). In some instances, high latency can prevent enterprises from taking advantage of available WAN bandwidth on large links.
The Silver Peak solution has always been optimized to support high capacity WAN environments. The NX family of appliances support 3x more WAN capacity, local data store, and TCP sessions than competitive WAN acceleration appliances. The company’s Network Memory™ technology, the industry’s leading solution for disk-based data reduction, reduces over 95% of WAN traffic and ensures LAN-like application performance by eliminating the transfer of duplicate data across the WAN. Network Memory adds less than 1 ms of latency, making it the industry’s only disk-based data reduction solution that works on all types of applications (TCP and UDP), including real-time data replication, interactive SQL transactions, and streaming video.The latest release of Silver Peak software (version 2.0) extends Silver Peak’s performance and management capabilities on high capacity WAN links. This is achieved via the following innovative capabilities:
- Enhanced Data Reduction : Silver Peak has extended the performance advantages of its Network Memory technology with enhanced pattern recognition capabilities and faster reads and writes to disk at high WAN speeds. The result is superior performance for a variety of application environments, including interactive saves (e.g., Microsoft Excel) and applications with high volumes of sustained traffic (e.g., data replication and video streaming).
- Centralized Policy Engine: Silver Peak allows common templates to be used across numerous appliances for simplified configuration and management of QoS, routing, and optimization policies.
- Advanced QoS: Silver Peak honors existing tags (DSCP) and enables the creation and enforcement of new traffic management policies that can be applied per flow. QoS policies can be configured by IP address, source/destination ports, application, and other commonly used parameters.
- Per-application optimization: Individual optimization techniques can be applied on a per-application basis for optimum network performance based on individual traffic characteristics.
- Zero touch configuration: Silver Peak dramatically simplifies deployment and reduces configuration errors by enabling NX appliances to automatically download key configuration settings, such as IP addresses, QoS policies, optimization instructions, and predefined configurations.
“Silver Peak continues to focus its attention on delivering the best WAN acceleration experience on high capacity WAN links,” said Rick Tinsley, CEO at Silver Peak. “From continued enhancements to our industry leading data reduction technology to innovative management tools that make WAN acceleration easy to deploy, Silver Peak is committed to being the leader in scalable WAN acceleration.”
Version 2.0 is currently shipping with all new Silver Peak NX appliances and Global Management Systems (GMS) appliances. All Silver Peak appliances are compatible with this software release.
About Silver Peak Systems, Inc.
Silver Peak improves backup, replication and recovery between data centers and facilitates branch office server and storage centralization by improving application performance across the Wide Area Network (WAN). The company’s award winning NX appliances deliver exceptional performance improvements with unprecedented security and scalability across all enterprise applications, including data replication, backup, file transfers, email, web and real-time applications such as Citrix and VoIP. For more information, visit http://www.silver-peak.com/infocenter
Silver Peak Systems, the Silver Peak logo, Network Memory and Silver Peak NX Series are trademarks of Silver Peak Systems, Inc.