Whether backing up to the cloud for disaster recovery, or for follow-the-sun development and test projects, you expect the same performance and security from your hybrid cloud that you would get from a enterprise network. With Silver Peak, you can quickly and securely transition to the VMware vCloud® and achieve LAN-like performance. The Silver Peak software runs on VMware vSphere and integrates directly into existing virtual infrastructure for easy deployment and maximum cost savings.
Silver Peak software instances deployed in VMware vCloud can be used to build the Silver Peak Unity intelligent WAN fabric, which unifies the enterprise WAN with the Internet and public cloud. Unity gives IT the ability to monitor and control connectivity to the cloud while ensuring consistent performance for every enterprise application and SaaS. Adding Silver Peak software to VMware vCloud not only extends the enterprise network to IaaS, it also brings the enterprise to the doorstep of SaaS applications.
With Silver Peak, VMware vCloud customers can reduce the largest data transfers from days to hours. They can also reduce the amount of traffic sent to and from VMware vCloud by over 50%. Silver Peak also secures traffic between data center and vCloud with built-in accelerated IPSec VPN.
Silver Peak VRX for VMware vCloud
Silver Peak VRX software enables you to easily meet recovery point objectives (RPOs) by overcoming network bandwidth, distance and quality challenges for replication to the cloud. Silver Peak VRX software deployed in VMware vCloud supports Silver Peak’s full list of data acceleration capabilities and is proven with all asynchronous IP storage replication solutions from Dell, EMC®, HDS, NetApp® and others. Deployment takes less than 20 minutes and requires no networking expertise.
VRX software options range from the VRX-2 (20Mbps or 5~50GB/hour) to the VRX-8 (1Gbps or ~2TB/hour).
Use Silver Peak VRX software with vCloud for:
- Initial data migration into VMware vCloud — Moving data into the cloud for the first time can often take days to move data into the cloud due to WAN constraints. With Silver Peak VRX software running in vCloud, days shrink to hours.
- Ongoing data replication/synchronization with VMware vCloud — Whether for backup, remote replication or synchronization of data between the data center and the cloud, WAN performance can affect throughput to and from the cloud. Silver Peak VRX Software helps with these ongoing workloads.
Silver Peak VX for VMware vCloud
Silver Peak VX software supports the full list of WAN optimization features for maximum data mobility performance to and from VMware vCloud.
The software ranges from the VX-500 (2 Mbps WAN capacity) to the VX-9000 (1 Gbps WAN capacity). Use the Silver Peak VX software with VMware vCloud for:
- Multi-site, end-user access to VMware vCloud — As customers begin to run critical applications like email, file, and Web apps in vCloud, geographically distributed locations will require centralized access. For these locations, WAN latency can have a negative impact on application performance. Silver Peak VX software can alleviate these WAN bottlenecks and make cloud-hosted applications perform as though they were local, even if they are hosted at a VMware vCloud facility on the other side of the globe.
- Unifying Cloud, Internet and the WAN — Deploying Silver Peak VX software within VMware vCloud can extend a customer's Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric and can serve as an optimal egress to nearby SaaS applications. This extends enterprise visibility and control to IaaS resources and SaaS applications.
Silver Peak VX and VRX for VMware vCloud are available with annual or perpetual licenses from the Silver Peak Marketplace.
- Supports full suite of VXOA optimization features. Overcome the constraints of today's Internet for maximum performance.
- Deployable at any time. No need to wait for product delivery or for someone to return your call. Just purchase from the Silver Peak Marketplace and download the software.
- Set it and forget it. Works on all applications without special configuration or software.
- Cost effective. Leverage the cost savings associated with virtualization.
- Future proofed. Optimize any application, regardless of version or transport protocol.
- Lower cloud usage costs. Silver Peak saves you thousands of dollars every month by eliminating over 50% of WAN traffic.
- Extend distances to cloud. Is your closest vCloud location hundreds (or thousands) of miles away? Don’t worry - with Silver Peak it feels like next door.
- SaaS Optimization. Use VX software in vCloud to build a Silver Peak Unity fabric and optimize SaaS applications.
- Migrate data to the cloud quicker than ever. With 20x more average throughput, Silver Peak helps reduce the largest data transfers from days to hours.
- Select the appropriate Silver Peak VX or VRX for your requirements.
- Obtain a Silver Peak VX or VRX license and image from the Silver Peak Marketplace or a Silver Peak reseller.
- Using the procured OVF, make a vApp template for the Silver Peak Appliance.
- From the vCloud UI, use the catalog to create a Silver Peak vApp instance
- Connect to the Silver Peak VM through a Web-browser.
- Set up packet redirection to the Silver Peak appliance.
Video highlights how Silver Peak accelerates data to and from the cloud and provides an on-going LAN-like experience for cloud-hosted applications.
Infrastructure-as-a-Service within the enterprise is expected to grow at a rate of 37.3% through 2017. Gartner supplements this with an additional key data point: infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) is the fastest-growing segment of the infrastructure service domain.
Silver Peak Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture and virtual WAN optimization enables and optimizes cloud deployments.
Law firm Thomson Snell & Passmore is using Silver Peak WAN acceleration to support a migration from Windows XP, Office 2003 and Exchange 2003 IT infrastructure to a new cloud-based service running the latest Microsoft software. The 200-year-old law firm previously ran a legacy Windows and Exchange environment to support 188 staff across two UK offices. To modernise its IT, Thomson Snell & Passmore has implemented a cloud-based IT infrastructure using Citrix, run from a 2e2 datacentre in Reading.
NCCW is one of the largest application service providers in the Netherlands. The company builds, maintains and hosts applications that enable building societies to efficiently rent and manage a house. NCCW represents more than 10,000 managed properties, and more than half of all building societies within the Netherlands rely on NCCW for their core business process management (BPM), software-as-a-service (SAAS), infrastructure-as-a-service (IAAS), and enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications.
C2C, a Globecomm company, is specialized in Satellite communication solutions, and owns and operates a Teleport in Biddinghuizen, The Netherlands. C2C serves customers globally, connecting them worldwide via turnkey satellite solutions. C2C ensures that no matter how remote the location, companies have excellent quality of data, voice and internet connectivity. Customers contract with C2C because individual attention is given to each and every service C2C runs on a 24/7/365 basis. C2C’s customer base include companies in the oil, gas and mining industry, shipping companies, blue chip corporations, telecommunication solution providers, government organizations and telecom operators.
Growing concern over the interception of Internet traffic by governmental agencies is driving enterprises to revisit how they secure storage replication and other essential applications between locations. Conventional site-to-site virtual private networks (VPNs) protect data in-flight, but require extensive networking expertise to configure and do not address the performance challenges of delivering applications over distance. Silver Peak's Accelerated IPSec combines the best of site-to-site IPSec VPN security and wide area network (WAN) acceleration.