Managing the growth in data while containing or reducing costs is a critical challenge for govenment agencies and the armed forces. Meanwhile, transferring data over the wide area network (WAN) for redundancy and disaster recovery is also a challenge when working with aging data center infrastructure and limited bandwidth.
- Regular backup or replication of millions of personnel records between federal agency data centers, disaster recovery sites, and branch offices can consume all of the available bandwidth and exceed data recovery point objectives (RPO). Purchasing and upgrading bandwidth across the federal network is both cost- and time-prohibitive.
- Replicating over unreliable, high latency and low bandwidth links between overseas military deployment sites and data centers located back home can be fraught with errors and replication failures. IT has to limit what data can be protected given their short backup windows and limited bandwidth.
- Video and voice communications are jittery and subject to echo and delay. Securing communications with military grade encryption protocols can degrade performance even further.
Many organizations consider upgrading bandwidth as a first solution to improve data transfer speeds. However, adding more bandwidth cannot address problems such as geographic distance between sites, network packet loss, and network congestion.
Silver Peak WAN Optimization technologies can improve data transfers across your WAN and more efficiently connect remote users to centralized applications.
Reduce government IT spending and meet mission objectives
Silver Peak, the leader in accelerating data over wide area networks, is an ideal partner to help government IT save money by using their existing bandwidth, while improving data transfers by an average of 20x.
- Improve Disaster Recovery strategy. Maintaining DR locations in distant geographies protects mission critical data against natural or man-made disasters. However, distance creates latency, and latency combined with low bandwidth can cause replication failures. Silver Peak technology partners with leading vendors like Dell, EMC and NetApp to improve data replication across wide geographic distances and lower bandwidth links.
- Speed data transfer in challenging conditions. Remote sites have limited bandwidth and may use satellite or radio technology to transfer data. Packet drops or out of order delivery is common. Silver Peak recovers and reorders packets, and sustains high throughput even as latency or packet loss increases, ensuring complete data transfer and mission success.
- Secure data in transit with military-grade encryption: Silver Peak provides military-grade AES-256 IPsec encryption for all data that is accelerated between Silver Peak platforms, without sacrificing performance.
- Optimize the performance of applications across MPLS and Internet VPNs: Silver Peak enables jitter-free real-time collaboration using voice, video, and virtual desktops.
Why Silver Peak?
- Flexible deployment. Silver Peak offers both physical and virtual platforms that deliver the same performance and scalability.
- Advanced traffic shaping (Quality of Service). Silver Peak offers advanced Quality of Service (QoS) and traffic shaping capabilities to support mixed traffic environments. Traffic can be classified for minimum and maximum bandwidth allocations, preventing certain applications from consuming all available bandwidth on shared links.
- Dynamic Path Control. Silver Peak uses real-time network metrics, such as lowest latency or highest throughput, to determine the fastest, most-reliable and most-available path for application performance and data mobility. Federal agencies can employ multiple network connections to act as a single large network.
- Application-agnostic acceleration. Silver Peak optimizes all IP traffic, regardless of version or transport protocol. No need to manage plugins, or worry about future application incompatibilities.
- Flexible pricing options. Silver Peak offers perpetual and subscription based pricing options. Federal agencies can deploy WAN optimization while protecting against changing IT requirements. This includes various "pay as you go" and "pay as you grow" options.
- Easy integration with custom government-grade platforms: Silver Peak supports Application Programming Interface (API) and Software Development Kits (SDK) for blades, servers, switches, routers, storage arrays, and Cloud.
Data backup and recovery
Data protection is key to any organization’s success and security. In the field, Silver Peak improves data transfers in less than ideal conditions, such as between field deployments and national data centers or traversing slow satellite or radio links. Across large government agencies, Silver Peak improves performance of file opens, storage replication and backup, video and voice communication.
Silver Peak VRX replication acceleration software accelerates and optimizes remote storage replication or backup, enabling 20x faster data transfer. Military-grade AES-256 IPsec VPN protects mission-critical data in transit. Silver Peak overcomes adverse network bandwidth, distance and quality challenges to help customers easily meet their recovery point objectives (RPOs).Non-technical personnel can install and accelerate storage backup or replication in as little as 20 minutes.
Federal agencies choose Silver Peak WAN optimization to overcome network performance challenges and lower ongoing WAN costs. Silver Peak offers:
- Virtual flexibility. Silver Peak offers the industry’s only multi-gigabit virtual WAN optimization platform and is the only WAN optimization software to run on every major hypervisor. The software is available for immediate download and free trial via the Silver Peak software marketplace.
- Highest capacity. With the broadest portfolio of physical and virtual WAN optimization products, Silver Peak delivers the most cost-effective WAN optimization for branch offices, data centers, and the cloud.
- Ability to accelerate any application. Silver Peak’s WAN optimization improves the performance of all enterprise and SaaS applications, regardless of transport protocol or version — all without the risk of corrupting data or altering application behavior. No plug-ins are required, which expedites deployment and saves both time and money.
- Cloud-ready. Silver Peak VX software and NX appliances can be used to build out the Silver Peak Unity intelligent WAN fabric, which unifies the government WAN with the Internet and public cloud. Unity gives government IT the ability to monitor and control connectivity to Software as a Service (SaaS) while ensuring consistent performance.