Maximize your investment in Microsoft SharePoint. Replicate databases faster and check-out files quicker from remote locations. Silver Peak addresses the wide area network (WAN) challenges that undermine distributed SharePoint implementations, reducing SharePoint replication times and improving the SharePoint browsing experience for users in distributed locations. With Silver Peak, IT can deliver a faster, more consistent SharePoint experience to any remote location.
Microsoft SharePoint is a popular tool for collecting and sharing information within the enterprise. While SharePoint may perform well within the office, application performance often degrades across wide area networks (WANs). Files may take longer to check in and out of a SharePoint library. Administrators may find they’re unable to replicate SharePoint database over distances, limiting how they can architect a SharePoint deployment.
Adding more bandwidth will not solve the problem. The TCP stack underlying SharePoint degrades as delay increases regardless of bandwidth. Even when distances is nominal delay may be a factor due to network congestion, and provider peering practices and routing policies.
Silver Peak solves those problems, dramatically improving Microsoft SharePoint performance over distance. Customers report that Silver Peak accelerates file transfers by more than 88 percent and can reduce bandwidth consumption by 20X. All results were gathered without special plugins or customization. Specific challenges addressed by Silver Peak include:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication dramatically shortens large SharePoint file and data transfers by removing the redundant data from the WAN. The first time SharePoint sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling SharePoint to operate more efficiently over distance, improving the user experience. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes SharePoint performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost or out-of-order packets are recovered and resequenced in real time, avoiding retransmission delays. Traffic shaping and Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms ensure all applications receive the necessary bandwidth.
Silver Peak protects SharePoint data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) between locations, securing all data with AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in each Silver Peak instance is also encrypted with AES. Silver Peak supports SSL/TLS for end-to-end encryption.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download, deploy Silver Peak software as a free trial or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Improve productivity with faster SharePoint access, enabling distributed team to collaborate more effectively on projects.
- Replicate SharePoint databases faster by reducing the amount of data that’s actually transferred across the WAN.
- Secure SharePoint data in transit with SSL and Accelerated IPSec without sacrificing performance or increasing complexity.
- Lower bandwidth charges by eliminating redundant data from the WAN.
- Reduce operating costs by consolidating SharePoint servers wihtout retaining LAN-like performance.
This brief examines Microsoft SharePoint performance over distance. It identifies the causes of poor SharePoint performance, discusses how Silver Peak addresses those issues and provides customer and/or lab performance results.
This white paper examines the requirements for optimizing SaaS and how Silver Peak's Unity WAN fabric gives IT the visibility and control that has been missing while giving users the performance they need.
Autodesk, Inc. is a world leader in 2D and 3D design and engineering software for the manufacturing, building and construction, and media and entertainment markets. Since its introduction of AutoCAD® software in 1982, Autodesk has developed the broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art software applications to help customers experience their ideas digitally before they are built. Fortune 1000 companies rely on Autodesk for the tools to design, visualize and simulate their ideas to save time and money, enhance quality and foster innovation for competitive advantage.
Encrypting SharePoint traffic, or for that matter any client-server traffic is even more important today than before; users work beyond the security of corporate walls while more security threats originate from within them. But encryption algorithms also cause problems by rendering application traffic largely immune to deduplication algorithms. Companies can end up with a secure application that responds like a slug over long distances.
Web applications have become richer over time, including more interactive data with larger embedded images and file attachments. In addition, many client/server applications have a substantial amount of code that must be downloaded to the client browser before operation. All of these attributes make it increasingly difficult to deliver web applications across a WAN.
Extending enterprise services and applications to branch offices often presents many IT challenges. Sluggish Web applications and long file transfers can threaten user productivity and increase corporate risk of data loss. Topcon Positioning Systems faced these challenges, and while the company knew it could solve its problems with WAN optimization, the company realized deploying WAN optimization hardware would be impractical and expensive for many reasons.
Mature companies need mature data recovery solutions. Just ask Aramex, a leading global logistics and transportation company. As the company approached its $1 billion annual revenue mark, updating the company’s 24 hour- Recovery Point Objective (RPO) became imperative for chief technology officer Samer Awajan. In addition to increased internal expectations for tighter disaster recovery procedures, shorter data center failover times would appeal to prospective customers demanding higher levels of business continuity
Law firm Thomson Snell & Passmore is using Silver Peak WAN acceleration to support a migration from Windows XP, Office 2003 and Exchange 2003 IT infrastructure to a new cloud-based service running the latest Microsoft software. The 200-year-old law firm previously ran a legacy Windows and Exchange environment to support 188 staff across two UK offices. To modernise its IT, Thomson Snell & Passmore has implemented a cloud-based IT infrastructure using Citrix, run from a 2e2 datacentre in Reading.