Don’t let distance interfere with RSYNC data copying and synchronization. Silver Peak eliminates the network problems undermining RSYNC over distance. With Silver Peak, users in remote offices locations can benefit from a faster, more responsive RSYNC experience.
RSYNC is a utility that synchronizes files and directories from one location to another. Although RSYNC uses delta encoding to minimize bandwidth requirements, long distances or network congestion can still undermine the utility’s performance.
Silver Peak fixes the network problems that interfere with RSYNC. More than 80 percent of RSYNC data can often be eliminated from wide area network (WAN) with Silver Peak. Protocol inefficiencies and error recovery are also addressed, speeding up RSYNC file and directory synchronization. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges undermining RSYNC performance:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak’s byte-level deduplication removes redundant RSYNC data from the WAN. The ability to identify common data patterns across applications, not just within the RSYNC stream, allows Silver Peak to further reduce RSYNC data even with its delta encoding. The first time RSYNC sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling RSYNC to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Where a CIFS share must be accessed, organizations also benefit from CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes RSYNC performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects RSYNC data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
- Increase productivity by allowing RSYNC users to copy and synchronize files and directories faster – saving both time and frustration.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating the majority of RSYNC traffic from the WAN.
- Shorten RSYNC file and directory transfers over distance by correcting underlying networking problems, making RSYNC file transfers significantly faster.
This is a demonstration of Silver Peak VX virtual WAN optimization software accelerating remote file transfers (CIFS) between a data center and a remote branch office.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Curt G. Joa (“JOA”) is a privately held specialty machine builder based in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. For 70 years, the company has been a leader in the design and manufacture of custom machinery designed for the production of disposable hygiene products, including diapers, sanitary napkins, medical equipment, and related products.
Expansion fueled by acquisitions as well as organic growth drove Donegal Insurance Group to modernize its data center. The effort, which was well along by early 2009, included server virtualization and an enterprise-class storage area network. Mike Clement, Donegal's assistant VP for information services, says the SAN helped ensure business continuity by replicating data between the Marietta, Pa.-based insurer's main data center at its headquarters and its distant disaster recovery (DR) site in Le Mars, Iowa, but bandwidth was becoming scarce.