Don’t let distance get in the way of Wget user agents and their targeted files. Silver Peak compensates for the increased delay and packet loss of the WAN. Wget downloads complete faster and require less bandwidth.
Wget is a popular program for retrieving content from Web servers. While generally effective, Wget struggles on high latency and congested wide area networks (WANs). The large amount of data Wget gathers through Web crawling takes longer to deliver to the client. SSL, which is often used with Wget, operates less efficiently.
Adding WAN bandwidth cannot solve the problem. TCP performance degrades as delay increases, regardless of bandwidth. Even when distance is nominal, delay may exceed expectations as a result of provider routing practices and peering policies, network congestion, and more.
Silver Peak tackles these problems, enabling a faster, more predicable Wget experience. Specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges undermining Wget:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak’s byte-level deduplication removes redundant Wget data from the WAN. More than 80 percent of Wget data can be typically removed from the WAN. The first time Wget sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling Wget to operate more efficiently over distance. TCP Acceleration includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. CIFS Acceleration includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes Wget performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects Wget data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
VX Virtual WAN Optimization Software
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
NX Appliances for Application Acceleration and Replication Acceleration
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Unity Architecture: Building an SD-WAN Fabric
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgrades by eliminating significant Wget data from the WAN.
- Shorten Wget downloads over distance by correcting underlying networking problems. Wget downloads are faster, and more Wget traffic is eliminated from the WAN.
- Protect data in transit with Silver Peak's integrated Accelerated IPSec VPN.
This is a demonstration of Silver Peak VX virtual WAN optimization software accelerating remote file transfers (CIFS) between a data center and a remote branch office.
Users in branch offices and remote offices have traditionally had a difficult time accessing files stored in remote data centers. The Windows file system relies on CIFS/SMB a chatty protocol that performs poorly over the WAN. Silver Peak corrects CIFS chattiness, accelerating the transfer of data to the branch office or remote office. This document explains how Silver Peak enable centrally managed file services to dramatically improve branch office and remote office productivity.
Expansion fueled by acquisitions as well as organic growth drove Donegal Insurance Group to modernize its data center. The effort, which was well along by early 2009, included server virtualization and an enterprise-class storage area network. Mike Clement, Donegal's assistant VP for information services, says the SAN helped ensure business continuity by replicating data between the Marietta, Pa.-based insurer's main data center at its headquarters and its distant disaster recovery (DR) site in Le Mars, Iowa, but bandwidth was becoming scarce.
DWP Accelerates Data Mobility And App Performance Across Asia Pacific
Prudential Investment Company Australia (PICA) has improved security, achieved backups that are five times faster, and is saving $5,000 a month on bandwidth costs it no longer requires. All achieved by implementing Silver Peak WAN optimisation software. With more than 500 staff at 25 locations from Port Douglas to Melbourne, PICA generates substantial amounts of critical data. When Technical Services Manager Neal Krempin joined PICA, he found that hourly backups between the company’s data centre site in Ultimo, Sydney, and the disaster recovery (DR) site in Port Melbourne often failed to complete on time, exposing the company to the risk of serious data loss.