ERP, CRM, PLM and other enterprise applications are most effective when available to users regardless of their location. But as offices are located further away from the data center, enterprise application performance suffers. Transferring data takes longer, increasing the time to fulfill queries, or refresh client front-ends. Silver Peak corrects the underlying WAN problems that disrupt enterprise applications, eliminating more than 80 percent of the data from the WAN and improving WAN quality. With Silver Peak, enterprise applications perform well for every office.
Enterprise applications, such as Customer Resource Management (CRM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), are essential to business operations. While they perform well witihn the office, across longer distances problems often emerge. Replicating application databases to a disaster recovery site will take longer or may fail to complete within the company’s recovery point objectives (RPOs). Client interfaces may take longer to refresh and data transfers longer to complete. The slow and unreliable performance over distance leaves users frustrated, increasing support desk complaints and impacting productivity.
Increasing the amount of bandwidth in the wide area network (WAN) typically will not address the problem. TCP throughput degrades as delay increases independent of bandwidth. Even when distances are nominal delay may be a factor. Provider routing policies and peering practices contribute to the delay on the wide area network (WAN).
Silver Peak addresses these problems, improving enterprise application performance over distances. Eliminated are the protocol inefficiencies that lengthen data transfers and undermine the responsiveness of enterprise application clients. Gone are the lost and out-of-order packets that come with network congestion and add to delay. As a result, Silver Peak can improve replication performance by 20x, shorten transaction times, and eliminate more than 80 percent of the data that needs to be transferred across distance. More specifically, Silver Peak addresses the following challenges:
- Bandwidth – Silver Peak byte-level deduplication eliminates more than 80 percent of the data sent by enterprise applications from the WAN. The first time the application sends data it is fingerprinted and compressed by Silver Peak. Subsequent requests are fulfilled by the local Silver Peak instance.
- Latency – Silver Peak mitigates latency enabling enterprise applications to operate more efficiently over distance. Most operations are improved through TCP Acceleration, which includes windows scaling, selective acknowledgements, and HighSpeed TCP. Sharing files and access data stores is also improved with CIFS Acceleration, which includes CIFS read-ahead, CIFS write-behind, and CIFS metadata optimizations. Latency is also reduced through packet coalescing, which re-packages multiple smaller packets into a single larger one, and through Dynamic Path Control, which selects the fastest path to a remote location.
- Congestion – Silver Peak makes enterprise application performance more predictable across congested WANs. Lost packets are reconstituted in real-time at the far end of a WAN link, avoiding delays that come with multiple round-trip retransmissions. Out-of-order packets are resequenced, avoiding retransmission and processing delays that occur when packets arrive out-of-order.
Silver Peak protects enterprise application data in-flight between locations with an Accelerated IPSec virtual private network (VPN) running AES-256, the enterprise standard for data encryption. Data-at-rest in a Silver Peak instances is also encrypted with AES. End-to-end encryption is provided by SSL/TLS.
Specific customers who have used Silver Peak to improve their CRM and ERP architectures include:
- Classic Components, a major electronics distributor
- Curt G. Joa (“JOA”), a global designer and manufacturer of specialty machines
- Essential Energy Services Trust, a leading provider of oilfield services in western Canada
- Merial, a world leader in research, manufacturing and marketing of animal health pharmaceuticals and vaccines
- Miles & Stockbridge P.C., a leading law firm in the mid-Atlantic region
- NCCW, one of the largest application service providers in the Netherlands
- SMTC, a global electronics manufacturing services provider
and many more. Silver Peak offers the most scalable and cost-effective data acceleration software for connecting data centers, remote offices and the cloud. You can download and deploy it as a free, self-service trial in just 20 minutes or contact us to see how Silver Peak can help your organization.
Silver Peak VX WAN optimization software supports the full list of Silver Peak WAN optimization features. Use Silver Peak VX software to build a Silver Peak Unity WAN fabric for integrating your enterprise WAN, the Internet and the cloud, and to optimize every SaaS application.
Silver Peak NX WAN optimization appliances are the industry's highest-performance WAN optimization solutions, delivering three-times the WAN performance and capacity of the nearest competing products. Silver Peak Software for Life program means you can convert NX appliances to VX software at anytime for free.
Silver Peak Unity is the premier solution for broadband and hybrid WANs.
- Maximize your enterprise applications by allowing the entire enterprise to use them.
- Increase productivity by accelerating the user experience for enterprise applications in remote offices.
- Avoid or delay expensive WAN bandwidth upgradesby eliminating the majority of enterprise application traffic from the WAN.
- Shorten data replication and transfers over distance by correcting underlying networking problems and eliminating excess enterprise application traffic from the WAN.
Oracle E-Business is an integrated suite of applications for the enterprise that relies on an Oracle Database as the backend and a Web frontend. Oracle E-Business may perform well within an office, but performance often deteriorates across a wide area network (WAN). This application performance brief highlights how Silver Peak improves the performance of Oracle E-Business over the WAN.
This white paper examines the requirements for optimizing SaaS and how Silver Peak's Unity WAN fabric gives IT the visibility and control that has been missing while giving users the performance they need.
This brief explains the performance challenges Web applications to face when running over distance and how Silver Peak data acceleration solves those challenges. Included are HTTP performance results from lab tests and customer deployments.
Web applications have become richer over time, including more interactive data with larger embedded images and file attachments. In addition, many client/server applications have a substantial amount of code that must be downloaded to the client browser before operation. All of these attributes make it increasingly difficult to deliver web applications across a WAN.